M49 Avonmouth Junction
Following our assessment of all options, we have chosen the Farm Lane Two Bridge option as our preferred option.
This option stood out as it:
- is the most affordable
- requires less land
- opens up a greater area of land for development
- has greater capacity to accommodate traffic levels in the future
- better incorporates the National Cycle Network, bridleway, and public footpath aspirations
- Local Communities
– Local roads
– Impact of construction work
- Non-motorised user facilities
– Improving the existing facilities
Impact on local roads
- Commitment that construction work will take place from the M49, not the local roads.
- Light vehicles may approach the site via the Severnside development.
- B4055 should not see increase in congestion during construction.
- Traffic modelling shows reduction in traffic flows on the B4055 and A403, compared to not putting a junction in.
- A reduction in traffic will lead to safer road conditions, and less congestion, on the local road network.
- Design of the junction improvement itself has begun.
- Detailed design of drainage requirements, pedestrian, cyclist and equestrian access, as well as environmental improvements are all required.
- We will hold a public information event later this year before the start of construction.
- We will provide details of the final proposal, construction programme and how we plan to minimise inconvenience to road users, residents and businesses.
Schedule of works
- Started on site December 2017
- Due for completion December 2019
Find out more about the M49 junction: highwaysengland.co.uk/projects/m49-avonmouth-junction/
Locate to Avonmouth Severnside
With a strategic location and immense development area, Avonmouth Severnside is a prime location for businesses thinking big and operating nationally or internationally.
Locate to Filton
A world-class area rich in aerospace technology, manufacturing and engineering. Thanks to unlocked development land, invest in your business on a reputation of excellence.
Locate to Emersons Green
An excellent new enterprise area that provides the environment, space, flexibility and support for science, research and innovation businesses to locate, flourish, grow.