Flood and Ecology
Avonmouth Severnside Enterprise Area (ASEA) Ecology Mitigation and Flood Defence Project
This project is a partnership between South Gloucestershire Council, Bristol City Council and the Environment Agency. It focuses on helping to support the growth of the Avonmouth Severnside Enterprise Area and protecting the existing communities from flooding. The project will help towards unlocking the economic potential of the Enterprise Area and benefit the local community by:
- Managing the risk of flooding to keep pace with climate change and rising sea levels
- Ensuring that sufficient wetland habitat for birds is created to protect the internationally important habitats and species of the Severn Estuary site
Current status of the project
In June we published details of our proposals to:
- Improve the flood defences between Avonmouth and Aust
- Create new areas of wetland habitat in the Hallen Marsh and Northwick areas
We held two public exhibitions and attended several community meetings to discuss the proposals and hear feedback.
We have considered all the comments raised and have prepared a summary report (available here) providing an overview of:
- All of the comments that were made
- How we have already amended our proposals in response to the feedback received. For example how we have re-worked our proposals for the New Passage area to address concerns raised by local residents
- Where we are still working to consider feedback
- Why, in some cases, it is not feasible to take on board some of the things suggested.
One of the concerns that was raised by the community was a concern about the proposed loss of poplar trees at Cake Pill. In response to these concerns we have prepared a report setting out the issues and options and this is available here.
Our project newsletter also summarises the feedback received.
We hope to submit planning applications to South Gloucestershire Council and Bristol City Council in early 2018. At this stage there will be a further opportunity for comment, as part of the normal planning application process. In the meantime, comments and queries can be emailed to
Please click here for a full list of FAQs and other background information on this project.
Locate to Avonmouth Severnside
With a strategic location and immense development area, Avonmouth Severnside is a prime location for businesses thinking big and operating nationally or internationally.
Locate to Filton
A world-class area rich in aerospace technology, manufacturing and engineering. Thanks to unlocked development land, invest in your business on a reputation of excellence.
Locate to Emersons Green
An excellent new enterprise area that provides the environment, space, flexibility and support for science, research and innovation businesses to locate, flourish, grow.